Wednesday 3 July 2013

Sexy Peat - Starting a dialogue with nature

Following a lovely drive from Inverness to Ullapool, and a very pleasant three hour ferry journey I finally find myself on the Island of Lewis.

Sleeping Coastal Giant
View from the rear of the ferry as we pulled into Stornoway
A relatively modern Shieling
I was fortunate to be taken for a quick preview drive into the peat bog last night with Lewis based Artist Jon Macleod. I was immediately struck by the vastness of the place, the quiet and the abundance of wildlife. The image above is one of many Shielings that we passed that are still maintained and in use. The door mat here reads 'No Junk Mail'.

Below are a few images I made as an immediate response to that initial visit to the bog. I look forward to spending more time on the bog over the coming days.





No comments: